Thursday, October 28, 2010

How much would that be?

I need to delegate....make other people do things I don't want to do! But seriously, chores are a good thing - they teach responsibility and foster a sense of belonging - even if your kids don't like it, helping at home makes them feel good deep down inside - right?!

So, a couple of weeks ago I announced to Carson that his new and ongoing chore is to unload the dishwasher - he's done it several times before - but this would now be his job, responsibility, chore. His reply 'Huh?' The first few times there were lots of questions like "where does this go?" and "where does this go?" and of course "where does this go?". Yes, I could have done it faster and with fewer questions - but that is what leads to lazy kids that feel entitled to have everything done for them. If they can physically, and safely do the task, than they should... right?

If you read my last post, you know I have an issue with follow through (surprised to see me back here blogging so soon aren't you?)... so in an attempt to try and reform my sporadic ways, I said to Carson "I have something to tell you, the dishwasher needs to be unloaded" his reply "Is that really what you have to tell me?" Yep! He asked when was the last time he unloaded it - he's on to my lack of follow through too! Doesn't matter babe, it's ready for you now! Then I asked him "Don't you think that everyone in the house should help with chores, or should I charge you a fee for the things I do?" He stopped, thought a bit and asked "Before I answer, what would the fee be?"

That's my Carson - the thinker!
He unloaded the dishwasher!

No comments: