Thursday, November 18, 2010

Romeo, Romeo, My Carson is a Romeo!

Sitting at the table eating noodles....
Carson says to Claire (his best buddy on the block, our neighbor girl):
"One of us has to say how we feel about each other"

Claire is silenced by confusion - or what she knows he means and doesn't want to talk about!

I say:
"like Carson loves Claire?"

Carson's eyes get big and he walks over and I think he is going to strangle me - but hugs me and says
"yep Claire, my mom said how I feel"

Claire is silenced by shock - or wants to pretend she did not hear that.

Carson says "We had to say it."
Claire: "Why?"
Carson: "Because we are best friends"

After a brief moment to gather her thoughts...
Claire: "Ok then, I like you. You are a good friend... and Dayne is weird"
(way to use of laughter to cut the tension Claire!)


Then my little Romeo goes on to say...

"Sometimes I think of running through a field of dandylions that are all white and we are all happy and stuff and then a pink heart pops up out of nowhere and I think of love dreams when I do that"

Claire (makes no comment)


UGH! I think my kid just got his first "I like you, but just as a friend" love rejection.

But, I'm not sure he even noticed!

Did I mention she is an older woman - a 4th grader!

I'm not ready for broken hearts - not from my 3rd grader!

No comments: